Whales English is an online teaching company that employs native English teachers to teach English, Science and Social studies online from their home. Based in Beijing in China, Whales English provides online education to children aged 3-18 years of age. Whales English pays native English teachers between $18 – $26 per 50 minute class using their own curriculum adopted from the National Geographic and Oxford reading Tree. Read on to find out everything your need to know about teaching for Whales English and how you can apply directly with Digiteachonline.com
About Whales English
Whales English is an online, Chinese English tutoring platform who employ only native English teachers. Initially known as Sprout English, Whales English was started by a group of parents who wanted to find better online English lessons for their children. Since its humble beginnings Whales is now a leading brand in the online education industry and in particular leads the way currently for online English classes for Chinese children. As a result of its success Whales English is now known as Whales Elite English.
The students at Whales English are Chinese children within the age range of 3-18 years of age.
All the lessons are taken by the students online.
Teaching English online for Whales English
Teaching English online for Whales is currently a popular choice amongst ESL teachers for the following reasons:
- The Contract: Unlike most other ESL platforms Whales English offers more job security with a 12 month, Independant contract that is renewable following good teaching performance.
- Pay: Whales English offers an attractive base rate PLUS attractive bonus payments.
- Location: Whales English do not pay differently depending on your geographical location. As long as you fit the teacher profile you can apply, no matter where you live.
- Hours: Whales English offer flexible and fixed booking hours within the Beijing time Zone of 18:-21:00 on weekdays and 08:00 – 21:00 on weekends.
- Lesson Structure: Whales English lessons only have 2 students maximum and their class lengths are either 25 mins or 50 mins, depending on the age of the student.
- The Curriculum: Whales English has an impressive world class curriculum adapted from its partners at Oxford University Press and the National Geographic.
- Training: Whales English invests heavily in the recruitment and the training of their teachers and as such chooses only the best English teachers. Teachers at Whales English are not subject to rating systems. Instead a teachers output is periodically reviewed and assessed accordingly, offering teachers support and training if required.
Watch our ESL specialist give you some top tips before you sit the interview!
Requirements to teach for Whales English
To work for Whales English you will need to meet the following requirements.
- You must be a native English teacher.
- A BA hons degree or higher.
- Minimum of teaching for one year online (essential).
- Additional experience of teaching in a school classroom (preferred).
- A certified teachers certificate: TESOL / TEFL / CELTA. If you don’t have this one yet see our resources section here where you can get £100 off.
- Have a genuine wish to teach children English online.
- A police check (DBS). No prior convictions.
- Be able to commit to a minimum of 8 hours per week.
Whales English Pay
- Pay is calculated by the lesson rate. Currently Whales English are paying between $18 – $26 per hour. Plus bonuses based on performance and loyalty.
Hours of work at Whales English
- A minimum of 8 hours per week.
- Weekdays hours are: 6:55pm – 9:00pm Beijing time.
- Weekends are: 9:10am – 12:20pm and 6:55pm – 09:00pm Beijing time.
- Click here to convert to your local time zone.