Whales English is an online teaching company that employs native English teachers to teach English, Science and Social studies online from their home. Based in Beijing in China, Whales English provides online education to children aged 3-18 years of age. Whales English advertise that they pay native English teachers between $18 – $26 per 50 minute class using their own curriculum adopted from the National Geographic and Oxford reading Tree. However they can make deductions from this and also fine teachers.
Whales English also have a clause in their contract that prohibts independent contractors from working with any other online platform whilst working for them.
Recruiters are paid to post on Social Media positive things about the company. They are also paid for signing up new teachers who are unaware of these draconian, immoral, and potentially illegal clauses. These things are NOT made known in any of their advertising which is shown below.
This information has been shared because we believe it is in the public interest to do so and so that teachers can make informed decisions based on ALL the facts about working for this company
Numerous reports from teachers that don't rate this company
More Feedback from more teachers that refused to work for Whales English
Now you have seent the facts above, please read on to what the Company promotes.
About Whales English
Whales English is an online, Chinese English tutoring platform who employ only native English teachers. Initially known as Sprout English, Whales English was started by a group of parents who wanted to find better online English lessons for their children. Since its humble beginnings Whales is now a leading brand in the online education industry and in particular leads the way currently for online English classes for Chinese children. As a result of its success Whales English is now known as Whales Elite English.
The students at Whales English are Chinese children within the age range of 3-18 years of age.
All the lessons are taken by the students online.
Teaching English online for Whales English
Teaching English online for Whales is currently a popular choice amongst ESL teachers for the following reasons:
- The Contract: Unlike most other ESL platforms Whales English offers more job security with a 12 month, Independant contract that is renewable following good teaching performance.
- Pay: Whales English offers an attractive base rate PLUS attractive bonus payments.
- Deductions: Whales English can fine teachers and deduct money from their lesson rate based on their interpretation of your performance.
- Location: Whales English do not pay differently depending on your geographical location. As long as you fit the teacher profile you can apply, no matter where you live.
- Hours: Whales English offer flexible and fixed booking hours within the Beijing time Zone of 18:-21:00 on weekdays and 08:00 – 21:00 on weekends.
- Lesson Structure: Whales English lessons only have 2 students maximum and their class lengths are either 25 mins or 50 mins, depending on the age of the student.
- The Curriculum: Whales English has an impressive world class curriculum adapted from its partners at Oxford University Press and the National Geographic.
- Training: Whales English invests heavily in the recruitment and the training of their teachers and as such chooses only the best English teachers. Teachers at Whales English are not subject to rating systems. Instead a teachers output is periodically reviewed and assessed accordingly, offering teachers support and training if required.
Watch our ESL specialist give you some top tips before you sit the interview!
Requirements to teach for Whales English
To work for Whales English you will need to meet the following requirements.
- You must be a native English teacher.
- A BA hons degree or higher.
- Be from the UK, US, Canada, Ireland, NZ or Australia.
- Minimum of teaching for one year online (essential).
- Additional experience of teaching in a school classroom (preferred).
- A certified teachers certificate: TESOL / TEFL / CELTA. If you don’t have this one yet see our resources section here where you can get £100 off.
- Have a genuine wish to teach children English online.
- A police check (DBS). No prior convictions.
- Be able to commit to a minimum of 8 hours per week.
Whales English Pay
- Pay is calculated by the lesson rate. Currently Whales English are paying between $18 – $26 per hour. Plus bonuses based on performance and loyalty.